Thought of the Day 10.27.08

“Keep your lives free from the love of money, and be content with what you have, for God has said, ‘I will never leave you or forsake you,’ hence we can confidently say, "The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid. What can anyone do to me?" (Hebrews 13:5-6)

Despite frequently quoting this powerful passage of Divine assurance, I worry that many people who do reference it may have missed the main point. God is not promising to provide for us materially. Just the opposite. He is telling us to beware caring too much about such things lest they displace our total satisfaction with the one thing He does promise to always deliver: His Presence.

It’s not that we can’t suffer. It’s that when we realize what true suffering is and what it’s not, it will become impossible for any material circumstance (good or bad) to compare to the sumptuous feast of God being in our lives.

No comments: