Thought of the Day 10.20.08

Imagine that you have never seen a diamond before and I give you one. You’re amazed by it, right? But what if I then take you into a room filled with thousands of diamonds and jewels of all sorts. Yours seems like just a trinket in comparison.

Imagine that you’ve never seen any airplanes before and I give you a paper one. It’s cool to play with, right? But then I take you into the cockpit of my F-16 and we fly at supersonic speeds into heaven. Paper airplanes aren’t quite so captivating anymore.

Imagine that you’ve never seen explosives before and I blow off a single firecracker in front of you. Exciting, right? But what if I then take you to the 4th of July celebration in downtown Chicago. One firecracker seems sort of silly in contrast.

You see, Christianity isn’t about loving this world less. It’s about the unavoidable apathy towards it one gains from any substantial encounter with the majesty of God.

No comments: