Thought of the Day 10.09.08

“The family that prays together, stays together.” I’ve heard it. I’ve seen it on bumpers. I’ve probably even said it. But is it true? Well, one of my best friends was a pastor whose wife led the worship team. They prayed together plenty, but still wound up divorced before ten years of marriage. And they aren’t the only ones. So, perhaps we should say, “The family that prays together has a better chance of staying together,” but who has time for such nuanced accuracy?

Yet, even if this more modest phrase is true, doesn’t it seem to imply that the main purpose of praying is to maintain family solvency? I always thought that the reason we prayed was to have a more intimate relationship with God. And shouldn’t we be satisfied if our pursuit of Him produces that and nothing else?


I pray with my family, and I believe it’s useful to do so. But given that Jesus told us we must put Him ahead of our families, perhaps we should be more cautious about sloganizing an inversion of those priorities.

No comments: