TOD 01.22.08

As everyone knows by now, it’s Presidential election season, and so far it’s been absolute chaos. Rather than just two or three candidates, there are still as many as nine contenders. Each one touts his accomplishments and lays out his new proposals, but I have a simple question I’d like to see each one asked: “Can you please name me five things not specified in the Bill of Rights that you think government has no authority to do?”

I want this because, except for Ron Paul (whom I do not support), most all of the candidates believe that the federal government can do anything that people think is a good idea. In contrast, our Constitution actually says that the government can only do what it has strictly been given the power to do by enumeration. Everything else is off limits, such as health care, education, stem cell research, etc.

I say etc. because the whole point of the Constitution was that everything not specifically listed was an “off-limits etc.” And my real question is whether any of our viable potential Presidents still believe this.

1 comment:

Prophet said...

It seems like the mainstream political thinking of today is that the Constitution is a quaint document of historical significance only. I'd be surprised if most of the candidates have even read more than just snippets of the Constitution much less read it seriously as a binding legal document. When it comes to the "issue" of the role of the Constitution in American policy it really is Ron Paul vs. the Republicrats.