TOD 01.18.08

I find myself being affected by who I listen to on the radio. Now, obviously, the issues and ideas presented by the person directly impact my thinking, but that’s not what I’m talking about. I mean that the tone of the show also has an impact on my demeanor. If the host is gentle, I find myself being more calm. If the host is mocking, I find myself feeling sarcastic. And if the host is quarrelsome, I find myself being more agitated.

We’ve had an abundance of commentators lamenting the evils of sexuality in media, but precious few have observed that anger seems to be at least as common a sales pitch as lust. Just like with lust, the appeal of anger is powerful and contaminating. As Proverbs 22:24-25 says, “Do not associate with a man given to anger; or go with a hot-tempered man, lest you learn his ways, and find a snare for yourself.”

In other words, beware entertainers who sell anger. Their information may not be worth the cost.

No comments: