TOD 01.10.09

Dying for someone is clearly an act of courage. But perhaps it’s not an act of great courage. Oh, don’t misunderstand me. I admire those who die for a cause, such as Christ or a loved one or a country. That, indeed, is noble. But as much as I admire this, I think that such sensationalist thinking misses the fact that such choices are often fairly obvious and easy because they happen quickly and hurt for just a short time.

In contrast, it is the small, daily, repeated sacrifice of things much less than our lives for those same ideals that requires great courage. Sure, I’d die for my wife, but would I turn off the baseball game when she wants me to talk to her? Sure, I’d die for Jesus, but would I give an hour of my time to an elderly person? Sure, I’d die for my country, but would I lead a discussion group for Junior high students on the meaning of the Constitution?

It takes great courage to die for something, but it takes an even greater amount of courage to live every day for that same thing…the sort of courage we all have the opportunity to demonstrate.

No comments: