Thought of the Day 09.30.08

Whenever we see a parent being too harsh toward his children, we naturally encourage him to be more tender and forgiving. Not because having rules and enforcing them is a problem, but because unmerciful parents will always exasperate their children, who desperately need love and affirmation. Such parents need to learn to act more like God, imaging Whom is all parents’ primary task.

But what about the harshness of children? I know so many people who hold grudges against their parents, refusing to bless and honor them because of some cherished injustice. Yet aren’t these children being just as unmerciful? Parents crave love and affirmation every bit as much as children do. Thus justice without mercy is at least as grave defect in children as it is in parents.

Though it’s true that there is no greater wound than the rejection of a parent, it’s even more true that there is no greater anguish than the rejection of a child. When God commanded us to honor our parents, it’s possible He understood this.

1 comment:

Andrew Tallman said...

A listener emailed me this comment:
I just wanted to let you know that I agree, although my "cherised injustice" is not simply a lame grudge like I didn't get a sports car for my 16th birthday.

My parent, and the guy mom lives with and still does, who is no relation to me, were and in some respects still are, abusive people, both mentally and physically. Every other member of my family is pretty much the same. (the stories I could tell) However, while I have every reason to resent them and to simply walk away, I choose not to. Our God said "Honor Your Father and Mother". I respect His word, and while growing up and even today, I love them, spend time with them, and care for them, although it is often enough a one sided relationship. I know they can't truly fathom what they did or still do, but why should I just simply turn away? Jesus said as he was on the cross, "Forgive them Father, for they know not what they are doing." When it comes to my family, I say the same thing. I don't know why I show respect and comapssion for those who don't in return, but in my heart where He dwells, it feels right and I feel it honors Him, the greatest Father of all.

I responded to him:
That is precisely the Christlike attitude to have. And obedient to the Word as well. Which is really just another way of saying the same thing. =)