Thought of the Day 09.12.08

Yesterday, at dinner time, I had an unusual craving for Kraft macaroni and cheese, so I set about making some. Since I normally make dinner for the boys as well, I made an entire box. While it was cooking, I told Spencer what we were having, and he started protesting, “No, I don’t want macaroni and cheese. I want something else.” When I checked with Ethan, I got a similar response. But I told them that’s what I was making, and they could either eat it or go hungry. I wasn’t going to make a second meal just for them.

Their negative reaction surprised me, though, because I know that both of my boys love macaroni and cheese, especially the way I make it. I also knew that once they tried some, they would change their mind. Sure enough, when I gave it to them (still protesting, of course), they ate it like wolves, each demanding extra servings, in fact. In the end, I barely got enough for myself.

Still, one thing keeps bugging me. Why do we protest and complain about the things that God brings into our lives? (Matthew 7:7-12)

No comments: