Thought of the Day 09.10.08

There are basically four kinds of people when it comes to happiness.

First, there are those who condition happiness on something impossible. “I will be happy if George Bush never was elected.” I will be happy if my parents had never mistreated me.”

Second, there are those who condition happiness on something possible but outside of their control. “I will be happy if other people don’t slow me down in traffic.” “I will be happy if abortion becomes illegal.”

Third, there are those who condition happiness on something possible but mostly within their control. “I will be happy if I am earning enough money.” “I will be happy if my marriage is strong.”

Finally, there are those who condition happiness on something that cannot fail. “I will be happy if God can be trusted.” “I will be happy if my identity is in Christ Jesus.”

Anger is the most reliable indicator of idolatry since it shows we have allowed something other than God to determine our happiness. Thus, anything that can make us angry is essentially something we worship. If so, we discover some very surprising things in our lives that we must admit we worship.

No comments: