Thought of the Day 08.28.08

Last week on my way to work I was driving past a grade school when suddenly a soccer ball came across the fence and bounced onto the street. I slowed down, hoping that other cars behind me had seen and would slow down as well. The ball came to rest in the gutter, and we all carefully drove by.

But a moment later, I turned around, drove past the ball on the other side, made another u-turn, and pulled over just behind the ball. By this time, a small crowd of kids had gathered at the fence, watching intently to see what fate would befall their beloved plaything. Some of them were gesturing for my help, as though they hadn’t yet comprehended my unusual maneuvers. So I got out, grabbed the ball, threw it over the fence, and gave a slightly admonishing, “Try to keep it in the yard from now on, okay?” Some of them said, “Thank you,” but mostly they were just off to play again.

And all I could think about this little escapade was, “How would I have responded if they had been my own children?” My answer determined my actions, which then became obligatory as a member of the village.

No comments: