Thought of the Day 08.27.08

I’ve recently found myself writing editorials on the subject of homosexuality, and I’ve gotten two basic kinds of responses. One sort tells me how hateful I am or how stupid I am or how I would probably be happier living in Saudi Arabia. I always use these comments as a chance to respond as sweetly as I possibly can in order to frustrate their expectation that Christians are vile people.

The second sort tells me how much they appreciate my writing on this subject, which encourages me to keep saying what needs saying. But these emails also often praise me for being so brave, which makes me slightly uncomfortable.

Bravery is doing what is right when there is significant personal risk, but I don’t really take any risks in writing my columns. Now it’s true that some people react with anger and harsh words, but being attacked with words doesn’t seem like a danger to me. Rather, it’s the clear evidence that ordinary people who don’t know the truth are being challenged by it. As such, it’s more of a reward than a punishment, at least in my eyes.

No comments: