Thought of the Day 08.08.08

I’ve only ever had one long-distance relationship. Not the namby-pamby sort people complain about when they’re a hundred miles away from their beloved. She was in Illinois, and I was in England. That’s real separation. And I hated it. I wanted to touch her, kiss her, hold her in my arms, and just be in her presence. But I couldn’t. All we could do is talk and write letters, which we did.

During this time, some of my “friends” would offer me their “help.” They introduced me to other women, they assured me that it’s not really cheating when you’re separated by an ocean, and they regularly mocked my foolishness for putting myself through such unnecessary inconvenience.

But I was pledged to someone, and she didn’t want me getting any of my needs met by anyone else. Though I hated that experience, it was great practice for Christianity. Here I stand, separated by a painful distance from my beloved Jesus, daily offered an endless parade of idolatrous alternatives to the joy of His Presence. I think He’s worth the wait.

No comments: