Thought of the Day 10.23.09

Recently, I was unfairly accused of something I didn’t do, which infuriated me. So I explained to the involved people what had actually happened in great detail, seeking to dispel the allegations. In the end, it all seems to have worked out just fine, but it was a very educational moment.

See, I was infuriated by the idea that people would think less of me than I really deserved. Yet I have to admit that my outrage wasn’t really motivated by a zeal for truth, but only that portion of the truth that makes me look good. I’m nowhere near as eager to make sure people know all my defects and flaws.


Whereas I’m ferocious at defending my honor, I am at best lukewarm in defending my sinfulness. Is this Christlike? Well, my Savior regularly told people to keep quiet about the good things He did, and He kept silent, Himself, when He was accused of doing evil.

When, oh when, will I ever be as satisfied with God’s opinion of me as He was?

No comments: