Thought of the Day 10.13.09

If I tell you that I like music by the band Air Supply, it’s entirely possible you would chastise me for liking silly, sappy, 80s soft-rock. Depending on how deep is my love, I might recant under scornful pressure. You’d certainly have the upper hand in tone if you castigated me for my favorable taste.

On the other hand, if I told you that I disliked music by Pat Benatar, it’s equally possible that you’d chastise me for not liking the hard-rocking 80s diva. However, depending on whether I think you’ve hit me with your best shot, in this case I’m more likely to stick with my negative judgment. You wouldn’t have the upper hand in getting me to affirm a taste for her music.


And that’s the point. Unless the social consensus is overwhelming one way or the other the pressure in our society is always towards disliking things. People almost never feel embarrassed to be caught disliking something, whereas they do often feel embarrassed to have been discovered liking something. It’s cool to dislike, but not as cool to like.

No comments: