Thought of the Day 10.22.09

Sage is almost a year old now, and I think my favorite thing about him is his smile. His general expression is fairly happy, but when I catch his eye and smile at him, his cute little face erupts in joy. The effect is so thorough that it seems as if even his hair is smiling.

At the moment, Ethan is having sort of a rough time of it. At three, he finds himself being moodier and more distressed than I ever remember Spencer being at his age. But every so often, I’ll catch him when he’s not paying attention, and I’ll just smile at him as if to tell him I cherish him. He smiles back, and for a moment, all is right in the world.

Spencer is five, and I would say that smiles are one of the key currencies of our relationship. I see him doing something cute, he makes a joke, or I just want to remind him how much I love him, and I’ll smile so that he sees me.

In my own experience, the one consistent message God gives me is that He loves me and is pleased with me. Whenever I picture Him in my mind, He only ever has one facial expression.

No comments: