Thought of the Day 09.30.09

Every gift is an opportunity for either improving or harming a relationship. Good ones show love, and bad ones show that people don’t really know us or don’t care enough to give accordingly. But one of the powerful abilities of a good gift is that it gives you the strong sense that someone else really “gets” you and is on your side in the world.

For instance, my wife never sends me emails at work, partially because we just recently got the Internet at home and partially because, well, we talk for an hour each night on our walk. But just today she sent me a short note saying, “Thought it would cheer you up to know...Starting tomorrow the forecast is for a high of low 90's. Today is probably the last day of 100 degree weather.”

Obviously, the news of horrid heat ending made me happy. But being reminded that my beloved wife knows how much I hate Phoenix summers and cares enough about me to send this small, personal note brings me far more joy than the news contained in the note itself.

No comments: