Thought of the Day 09.17.09

Today, while I was helping my grandmother eat lunch at her nursing home, I had a chance to look around at all the other residents. And, as always, watching them at their various stages of disability made me sad.

Partly, it forces me to think about my own future in old age, but more so it bothers me to see all these formerly strong, capable, and smart people now unable to do almost anything for themselves. Comparing them with fully functioning human life makes me pity them in their diminished condition. But today I suddenly realized something. God must feel just such sadness whenever He looks at us.

See, He knows what fully functioning human life really looks like because He designed us to live that way. He also has a dismally accurate view of what actual human life is. And whereas my definition of healthy life is merely the average of what I see around me all the time, His definition of healthy humanity is the example of His Son: an ideal compared to which even the most capable of us look embarrassingly incompetent.

No comments: