Thought of the Day 09.29.09

Among my circle of eaters, I am known for making really great pies, and I confess that it’s true. I do make excellent pies, and people always say the same thing. “Your pie is sooo good. The crust is amazing. How do you do it?”

At this point, I always hem and haw a little bit. It’s not because I don’t want to tell my secret. It’s because there is no secret to tell. I just follow the Betty Crocker recipe, with the exception that I make about 50% more because I prefer a thick crust. Since I feel like I just followed instructions, taking the compliment is a little weird. I’m glad they liked it, but the credit has to ultimately go to the cookbook and not me since I feel like I’ve actually done so little to make it turn out right. Mostly, I just did what I was told.

Similarly, whenever people are impressed by my kids or my marriage or my finances or even my wisdom, I’m always a bit embarrassed. God wrote the cookbook. Taking credit for myself just feels like plagiarism.

1 comment:

Michael said...

Andrew,

This is Mike Easton, the guy from Tucson that met you at ANC a week or two ago. I get why the compliments make you uncomfortable, but if it is simply a matter of following the recipe book then why aren't more people successful at making pies, as well as the other stuff.

Plus, even though you follow the recipe for the mixture, your application of 50% more crust is part of your style. Maybe the impressive thing about life is not the holding, or creation, of the knowledge and wisdom; but instead the practical application into a lifestyle that expresses who you are.

In fact, it is the application of such delicious pies that makes me want to look into the cookbook and see how I can apply it to my life.

Just a thought. Plus I wanted to let you know I really enjoyed meeting you and look forward to checking out your blog and listening to your show.

-Easton