Thought of the Day 09.16.09

There’s a file cabinet in my broadcast studio where I keep most everything I use for the show. Last night, when I was closing up shop, I happened to notice something missing from the back of one of the drawers. Well, obviously the idea of people rummaging through my stuff and actually taking something was pretty unappealing. And since numerous people come in and out of the studio when I’m not here, I started worrying that other things might also go missing.

Then it occurred to me that one of my friends might have borrowed it without saying so. Since this explanation was both more likely and also more comforting to imagine than the alternative, I chose to believe it and emailed to ask. Sure enough. The reply confirmed they had needed it for a client. Problem solved.

But here’s the funny thing. Even though there was a perfectly good explanation and there is no more evidence today than there was yesterday that we have a security problem around here, I’m still feeling less secure simply because I lived with that possibility for a few hours. Truly, the human imagination is a powerful and irrational faculty.

No comments: