Thought of the Day 09.15.09

Have you ever been driving along the highway when someone tries to merge right in front of you, cutting you off? I know, right? What an idiot! I’ll tell him how stupid he is with my horn.

But what if you took a second look and realized it was one of your good friends, whose car you just hadn’t recognized. Wouldn’t you be embarrassed and maybe even offer an apology later?

Have you ever been trying to merge onto the highway but discover that there’s no room for you? So you speed up and nose your way in front of the inconsiderate jerk who wasn’t paying attention? What? He honked at me? How dare he! That guy really needs to know Jesus!

But what if you took another look and realized that he was actually one of your friends, whose car you just hadn’t recognized. Wouldn’t you be embarrassed and maybe even offer an apology later?


Because we feel anonymous in the car, we often both behave worse ourselves and judge others more harshly than we ever would in person. Even if that other person isn’t actually my friend, pretending he might be will probably make me behave slightly more like a Christian should.

No comments: