Thought of the Day 07.01.09

How is it possible that Jesus could suffer separation from God the Father for only three hours, and that would be enough to compensate for all the suffering we would all endure in hell for all of eternity? After all, He knew it was the Father’s plan, and He knew He’d be getting the Father back soon enough, right?

When I was first dating my wife, I was obsessed with being in her presence. When I was with her, I was enthralled. And when I was apart from her, I was virtually useless for anything because I was thinking about her. Well, both of us being in college, we obviously had to separate at times just to attend class. But even though I knew I would see her again in a few hours, it was agony just to be apart.

See, although we use the word “love” to describe both my zeal for my wife’s companionship and the Son’s zeal for the Father’s, I worry that doing so hinders us from comprehending the magnitude of the latter devotion, if only because it sounds a bit like saying that a candle and the sun both emit light.

No comments: