Thought of the Day 06.17.09

A little while back, I had a funny, inconvenient thing happen to me. A guy I had recently met who was a big fan of the show had wanted to have lunch with me to get my input on a radio program he was launching. Naturally, I was excited about helping him.

After a wonderful lunch and discussion, we got in his car to come back to the station, but it wouldn’t start. Apparently, he had a broken gas gauge and didn’t realize he’d run out of gas. But he was so embarrassed and ashamed and couldn’t stop apologizing for it. Even after he had gotten some gas, he seemed so crestfallen and distressed, despite my assurances that it was no big deal.

Although I was sort of flattered, his behavior basically showed that he had put me on some special, celebrity pedestal. In a sense, he had made an idol out of me, and was just a little too worried that this gaffe would doom our fledgling relationship. But would I really be worth losing as a friend if I could be offended by something so small?

No comments: