Thought of the Day 06.12.09

Last week, I found myself trying to park at a meter around 7:30 in the evening but without enough coins to get me safely to 8:00. Unfortunately, there were no shops to get change at, so I resorted to asking the few people I saw. One lady eventually just gave me a quarter, which was terribly kind, but the first response I got made me realize something about myself.

These two guys I asked said they didn’t have it and not to worry. I should just take a risk and “live a little. It would be okay.” Easy advice for them to give, right? But, having just seen an enforcer wandering around, I was none too eager to risk five minutes of meter time costing me a $30 ticket.


Only later did I realize just how sinful both of us had been. See, parking at a meter without paying is breaking the law, which they endorsed because I wouldn’t get caught. But rather than being aghast at their criminal pragmatism, my only objection was that I might be. The idea that I should either pay the meter or park elsewhere on principle hadn’t occurred to either of us.

No comments: