Thought of the Day 02.23.09

When I run a mild fever, I either ignore it or chalk it up to something temporary. When I run a medium fever, I take some medicine. And when I run a high fever, I go to a doctor. In my opinion, anger and resentment are a lot like a moral fever. Let me illustrate.

“How dare you speed while I obey the law!”
“How dare you cheat on your taxes while I pay my fair share!”
“How dare you go to strip clubs while I stay loyal to my wife!”
“How dare you take a government bailout while I scrimp and save to pay my mortgage on time!”

Such high fever statements reveal our secret desire to do the wrong others are doing because we actually believe doing so would make our lives better. Our resentment shows we actually covet their evil.

In short, we envy the wicked when we should pity them for harming themselves. Why? Because we don’t yet really know the difference between a healthy soul and a diseased one.

No comments: