Thought of the Day 02.19.09

Socrates rather infamously claimed to know nothing. Thinking this was a quantum improvement over error, he went about proving to others that they didn’t know anything either, a habit which eventually got him lynched. Although one might question the value of self-exploration which only leads to ignorance, I think there is a lesson here for Christians.

Our first command is to love God fully. Of course, love presupposes knowledge, and the Christian shorthand term for the knowledge of God is the Gospel. But at some point, those of us who seek God realize that we don’t really love Him and we don’t really know Him, truths which our actions clearly show and which prove that we don’t really believe the Gospel.

Admitting this failure is painful, but it is the pain of self-revelation. As such, it is a major checkpoint on the path to real intimacy with God and the holy life which grows from that. Whereas Socrates’s sense of ignorance was an endpoint, the Christian’s sense of unworthiness is a whole new beginning.

3 comments:

Andrew Tallman said...

David emailed me:

Hi there! How are you? It has been awhile since I wrote, I hope all is well with you and yours.

I have a question regarding the Thought Of The Day for 02/19/2009. In it you wrote: "But at some point, those of us who seek God realize that we don't really love Him and we don't really know Him.."

I am still seeking God and of course, I intend to continue to do so, and I will be the first to admit I really don't know Him, but I love Him, and I am confused by when you say those of us who seek Him realize we don't really love Him." That doesn't sound right.

Can you shed some light on this? I always enjoy the way you think and I know there is something I am missing here. :)

David

Andrew Tallman said...

Here’s the Logic answer: If we loved Him, we would obey Him. We clearly do not obey Him. Therefore, we do not love Him.

Here’s conceptual answer 1: You can’t love what you don’t know because love presupposes knowledge. So, when you admit you don’t really know him, you’re also admitting that you (to that degree) don’t (can’t) love Him.

Here’s conceptual answer 2: As the Thought implies, unlike with Socrates’s paradigm, it is possible to make progress after the epiphany of personal wretchedness (ignorance for Socrates). So, the thought itself says that we can grow to love God. However, the key precondition for growing in that dimension is having previously and decisively recognized that it is not true of you. This (I think) is what the Bible means by repentance. Moreover, as you continue to know God, this drives you into realizing how much worse your condition really is than you ever previously thought and, therefore, how much bigger His love for you is than you ever previously realized and how much farther from truly loving Him you are (even though you’re still growing in that direction and making real progress). The more I learn (which is real improvement), the more I learn how much more than I ever realized there is still yet to learn.

I hope that helps. =)

Andrew

Andrew Tallman said...

David Replied:

Once again, you put things in clear perspective. I understand now and you would be correct, I don't obey Him fully, so therefore to that degree I don't love Him. Only Jesus had that love, and as you said before one cannot be Jesus or emulate Jesus. One can only be who one is. Thank you very much for your insight and wisdom. BTW, yes you can post this discussion in the blog. It may help others with the same confusion.