Thought of the Day 11.19.08

It’s useful to remember we live in a culture which is the byproduct of the Enlightenment. As such, we have an almost genetic prejudice to favor rational argument and respect for the free will of others, even if we botch these values regularly. And, just like any other bias, the trick to surviving this one is simply knowing it’s there.

For instance, the other day, I found myself engaged in all out warfare with my toddler. The issue was green beans. After several minutes and multiple theaters of combat, I managed to get him to chew and swallow one bean.

When he looked up at me, I knew victory was mine. I asked him whether he liked it, and, “Ethan like green bean,” was my wreath of triumph. He finished the rest of them on his own.

See, sometimes good parenting means total coercion so that the child experiences something he will love…a very non-Enlightenment principle whose constant use proves that God is a far better parent than we are.

No comments: