Two trees.

Imagine the Day of Judgment comes and two peach trees stand before God hoping for admission to His orchard.

The first peach tree is withered and thin, barely having enough life in himself to produce a few wimpy leaves but never any fruit. He confidently struts up to the Bench, proclaiming, “It’s not my fault I never bore fruit. I wasn’t watered properly. I didn’t have good soil. And I was all alone in a field. But none of that matters. You told us that all peach trees get into your orchard, and I’m a peach tree after all, even if I never grew any peaches. You have to let me in or else you’re a liar.”

In contrast, the second peach tree is massive; thick, tall, and full of branches so fruitful that peaches keep dropping off even as he shuffles carefully up to the Bench, where he barely whispers, “I’m so sorry, Lord. I know I should have grown more fruit over the years. I’m not nearly the tree I should have been, and I imagine you must be disappointed with my yield. Nonetheless, please have mercy on me and allow me to have just a small corner in your orchard where I can at least see the worthier trees in the distance.”

So here’s the question, Christian. Which sort of peach tree are you?

No comments: