Removing the unremovable.

This past Saturday, Ethan found himself the victim of chewing gum. Somehow, he had gotten it to that perfect consistency where it will stick to anything (in this case, his hands, his clothes, and the couch) and simply will not come off, instead forming ever-longer-and-more-unremovable strands of destruction.

After wiping off his hands with a paper towel and putting his clothes in the freezer for later scraping, I turned my attention to the couch. Having no idea what to do with it, I consulted my trusted colleague, Google. “Apply ice in a bag for 15 minutes, then scrape,” the wise Internet told me. I did so, to no avail. But a second recommendation said, “use a toothbrush and peanut butter.”

“Peanut butter? Are you serious?” I asked, doubting the oracle. “Trust us, this actually works,” she replied. Having nothing to lose, really, at this point, I removed the fabric from the cushions and went to the bathroom armed with a jar of Skippy (smooth) and my toothbrush. Sure enough, everything came out just as easy as possible.

Somehow or other, the magic power of peanut butter conquers the impossible-to-remove contamination of chewing gum. I’m not sure whether to call this an Easter miracle or just an Easter illustration.

No comments: