On parenting

Having learned the concept of April Fools Day, but not the importance of only doing jokes in love, Spencer has been playing pranks on Ethan recently, for which we keep correcting him. Well this morning finally may have been the teachable moment.

See, both of them love strawberry milk, and we had just finished off a canister of Nesquik. So Spencer pretended to have a glass and told Ethan he should go get some for himself. When Ethan opened the container, it was empty, and Spencer announced his prank with laughter. Ethan, of course was very disappointed. As a good daddy, I naturally stepped in to fulfill his frustrated expectation by opening a new canister and giving him strawberry milk.

Seeing this, Spencer immediately started clamoring for one as well, which I denied. “But you gave it to Ethan,” he complained. “Yes, and I wasn’t going to. But when you tricked him, I decided to be generous and give him what you had promised because he was sad. But because you played the prank, now you don’t get any. I’d like you to think about this the next time you consider playing a joke on someone that’ll make them sad.”

The giver in me was willing to be generous, but the father in me knew he needed to learn a lesson he would remember.

No comments: