More on parenting...

Things I regularly say to my three boys:

“Stop bickering over such ridiculous things. Just be the bigger boy and give in.”

“There’s more than enough for everyone, but you have to share.”

“Stop fighting. Just go away. You don’t have to hit him back just because he hit you. I don’t care who started it. The one who quits first is the winner.”

“Be more careful! He’s smaller than you are, and it’s the bigger boy’s job to look out for the little one.”

“When he’s annoying you, just leave the area. It doesn’t matter if he’s saying something you know is wrong. You don’t have to win to be right.”

“Stop screaming. That’s not important enough to be crying over.”

“I know it’s yours, but you weren’t using it, so just let him play with it.”

“Why are you crying? Is crying going to change anything? Has crying about something ever made you feel better?”

“I know you didn’t make the mess, but I want you to clean it up anyway. Somebody has to do it, and it might as well be you. Do you remember how many of your messes I cleaned up for you?”

So, I have this theory that God allowed us to experience parenting as a way to understand Him better, but I’m still a bit fuzzy on the details….

No comments: