Thought of the Day 01.21.10

Perhaps the easiest thing in the world is to be halfway Biblical. You know, to get just enough of what the Bible seems to be saying to get it completely wrong and yet think you’ve got it right. In other words, the easiest thing in the world is to be a Pharisee. See, I must confess that I am constantly bothered by how Jesus in the New Testament repeatedly responds to His circumstances in precisely the wrong way, either overreacting, underreacting, or just doing the unexpected.

For instance, when foreigners are crowded out of the temple by merchants, I expect a diplomatic request for religious reforms. Instead, He goes berserk, attacking them like a madman. (John 2:16)

When a woman is caught in a capital sin, I expect Him to condemn her. Instead, He quietly, almost aimlessly, entices her attackers to dismiss themselves. (John 8:3-11)

When a local politician mercilessly kills worshippers, I expect a public protest. Instead, He ignores it except to encourage people to change their own ways. (Luke 13:1-5)

And when chastised for seriously inconveniencing His parents, I expect an apology. Instead, He rebukes them. (Luke 2:49)

What lesson do I draw from these and dozens of other, similar examples? Merely this: to not be so sure that my way of reacting to things coincides with God’s way of having me react to things. It’s just far too easy to be halfway Biblical and entirely unChristlike.

No comments: