Thought of the Day 01.18.10

Although I live in Phoenix, I’m still from St. Louis, where we love our baseball team. Well, the other day I was driving past an SUV with a Cardinals hitch cover, and I got so excited. Here was a fellow fan, and all I wanted to do was connect with him somehow. Should I honk? Should I wave? We don’t have a universal gang sign, so I wound up doing nothing. But I really wanted to connect with this stranger who I knew shared and would understand my enthusiasm. Unfortunately for me, that response looks an awful lot like idolatry.

I mean, when I see Christian symbols on cars, it doesn’t give me anywhere near the sense of solidarity this did. So what explains this difference? Well, it could be I love the Cardinals too much. It could also be that I don’t love Christ nearly enough. Or it could just be the rarity of such an encounter. When I’m in St. Louis, I don’t have any such impulse, and if I were in a place where few people were Christians, I think I’d be much more excited to find one.

In reality, it’s probably a blend of all three. But the good news is that only someone who knows he’s truly accepted in Christ would be secure enough to understand and admit such flaws.

No comments: