Thought of the Day 01.19.10

The son of a very good friend recently asked if he could treat our house like his home-away-from-home while he trains for a month at Luke. I’ve known Brandon since he was 5, so I of course said yes. But I didn’t really know what to expect since guests are an unknown until you actually have them.

Some people, naturally, are difficult. But even people I enjoy having around can be a different sort of drain because they can turn my place of relaxation and refuge into a work zone, which is psychologically taxing…like going on a vacation and needing another vacation afterwards to recover.

Well, after several days, I can honestly say I’ve never had anyone be around so much and yet inconvenience me so little. The boys love playing with him, and we’ve all done stuff together, but somehow or other it simply feels like he isn’t really there at all, which I mean in the very best of ways. All I know is I have a new goal whenever I stay with other people: to make my presence in their home disrupt their lives and ability to relax as little a possible.

No comments: