Thought of the Day 01.08.10

A few weeks ago, I was making our year-end donations, but I was doing it online. Just as I was about to complete the transaction, I realized I was missing a tremendous opportunity. So I paused and went to get Spencer and Ethan. When I brought them into the room, I told them where we were giving, why it’s important to help the poor, and even how much so they would understand the importance of this value to us.

Then we took a few moments to pray for the people who needed help, which turned the rather abstract event of clicking on a web icon into a ceremony of sorts. Spencer even declared he’d like to give some of his own money to help the poor people as well, which naturally warmed this father’s heart greatly.


It was one of those moments that easily could have just passed without squeezing the maximum benefit from it. It’s just one more reminder to me how proactive I need to be at including my children in the things I want them to learn are right and how visible they need my right deeds to be. A good example unobserved is no example at all.

No comments: