Thought of the Day 01.13.10

We teach our boys that when people ask for money, the Christian response is to give it if you can. But then we have a problem. Walking around Phoenix (or even driving), we encounter beggars asking for money. Well, for a variety of fairly sophisticated reasons, I generally don’t give to these people. But my children are watching.

Adults would understand all the complexities of the situation. But they aren’t adults. All they know is that daddy is being asked for money. So what should I do? I should give. The example of me giving is more likely to influence them toward good deeds than if I were to try explaining all the complex adult reasons for avoiding it in this case.


Young children badly need to learn general principles like, “Don’t lie,” and, “Give to people who ask.” We can explore ethical complexity and justified exceptions after that foundation is in place. Losing moral credibility with my children would end up costing far more than the mere loss of a few unwisely given dollars.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I've solved the giving situation by buying McDonalds gift cards and keeping them in my wallet. That way, I have something tangible to give to a hungry person that I know will be used for feeding hunger and not a habit. Also, kids can relate to being hungry and going to McDonalds to eat - a very real picture for them to grasp.