Thought of the Day 08.03.09

As I was getting my oil changed this morning, I decided to go walk up the street in search of a coffee shop or diner where I could sit and work while I waited. As I did this, I had a very strange sensation. I perceived people watching me, and not just watching, but watching and feeling superior to me. I even wondered if anyone was having trouble reconciling a well-dressed, middle-aged professional walking through central Phoenix in the middle of the day.

And a part of me sort of wanted to give some indication to them that I’m really a car owner who just happens to be walking because my car is in the shop. Of course the reason I had such ridiculous thoughts is embarrassingly obvious.


When I see people walk, I don’t merely feel sorry for them for having to do so. I also sort of feel better than them. More responsible. Economically prosperous. Better. It never stops amazing me how easily arrogance doesn’t just sneak into my mind, but actually camps out there unnoticed until God reveals me to me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Andrew,

I enjoyed this post. I can identify with the feelings you expressed as I have also been on both sides of the coin. I wanted to also tell you I really enjoy your show, I look forward to it everyday when driving home from work. Even though I do not always agree with you, I so much enjoy the thought-provoking discussion that is always present in the show.

Andrew Tallman said...

I'm so glad you took the time to say so. =)

My favorite compliments are of just this sort. It's no big accomplishment if people who always agree with you like you. The real trick is whether people who disagree (at least sometimes) still enjoy the discussion. So thank you.