Thought of the Day 07.28.09

My wife recently wanted me to order something from Bath and Bodyworks for her grandmother’s 80th birthday. This morning, while looking at the receipt, she asked me, “Um, honey, where did you order that gift card from?” My heart sank as I realized I had ordered it from Bed, Bath, and Beyond. Stupid man!

I instantly apologized, but she was understandably disappointed and didn’t immediately forgive me. That’s when I got a bit defensive. I thought, “It’s an understandable mistake. I bet it happens all the time. Next time I won’t do her any more favors. Besides, she’s supposed to be more forgiving as a Christian wife.”


That’s when it hit me how wrong I was. Aside from turning my true anger at myself into false anger at her, I was actually treating forgiveness as if it was an entitlement rather than a gift. If she wanted to be angry at me, well, I deserved it. And unless I started from that premise, I’d never be able to appreciate her forgiveness as the unearned gift it would be. Now I need to be forgiven for my crummy attitude on top of my purchasing error.

No comments: