Thought of the Day 07.21.09

I’m fairly adventurous when it comes to ideas, people, and art, trying anything new and interesting. But for most everything else in life, I’m pretty resistant to novelty.

When I find a product that works, I generally will use it until it breaks and then try to find the exact same one again. Once I find the best route to work, I drive it every day unless my nemeses in the roads department thwart me. And although I love going to new restaurants, my goal is always to find the best thing on the menu and then order it every subsequent time I go there.

But with the things I really care about, like my career, my money, and my family, I’m not adventurous at all because the consequences seem so steep. That’s why I’m constantly amazed whenever I think about the early church.

They had no written text, just word of mouth. Their beliefs made them total outcasts from their society. And they were the first people in history to hold their beliefs. Their faith was truly adventurous. By contrast, mine was merely obvious.

No comments: