Thought of the Day 07.31.09

I remember driving home from our small group on the 4th of July watching fireworks in the distance all over the Valley and then parking to watch one show near our house. As you would expect, my boys were loving it. Fire. Loud noises. Pretty colors. All the essentials for preschooler fun.

But as the show went on, I noticed something that I remember being true of myself when I was young. Spencer kept repeatedly asking me, “Is that the finale, daddy? Is THAT the finale, daddy?” I don’t know why, but once you ever tell a kid that fireworks ends with the finale, you can never untell them. And they obsess about it during every show. After fifteen or twenty times, I told Spencer, “Don’t worry, son. You’ll know the finale for sure when you see it. You won’t have to ask.”


This didn’t stop him from continuing to ask, though less frequently, but it dawned on me that the answer would fit another question, too. How do you know you’ve had a genuine encounter with Christ? Well, once you do, you’ll stop asking that question.

No comments: