Thought of the Day 07.30.09

After checking my receipt at the grocery store the other day, I discovered a mistake. The cashier had charged me $2.99 a pound for garlic when I had actually bought mushrooms at $3.49 a pound. Having only bought a handful, the difference was just a few dimes.

Nevertheless, I went back to him and showed him the error, saying, “I think I owe you some more money.” He apologized and told me the difference was on him since it was his mistake. So I thanked him and left.

This wasn’t the first time. In fact, I always check my receipt carefully because I find errors between a fourth and a third of the time. Sometimes it favors them, sometimes me. Either way, I always find a manager and fix it.

But the weird thing to me is how surprised they always are when I’ve underpaid, making a big deal of how impressed they are with my honesty. This makes me uncomfortable because, to me, honesty is an obligation, not a virtue. And certainly if I’m willing to point out errors that get me money, I must also point out errors that cost me money. Isn’t that the essence of the Golden Rule?

No comments: