Thought of the Day 07.10.08

As a recovering speeder, I’ve recently rediscovered the pleasure of obeying the law. Of course what now bothers me is other drivers whizzing on by. My first reaction is condemnation. “What an irresponsible, immoral jerk!” But that’s just pride talking, or else jealousy.

Then my second reaction is understanding. “I’ve done it, too, so I can forgive him because I don’t want to be a hypocrite.” But that makes no sense. If one person breaking a rule justified everyone doing so, then we’d all be entitled break every law just because someone else already had. Silly stuff, indeed.

My final reaction is proper judgment. “He is breaking a law, dishonoring God who grants authority to make laws, causing stress to us who obey the law, endangering other drivers, and thus damaging his own soul severely.” Does that make me feel superior to this wretched sinner? No. Rather I pity him for being so misguided about what is truly good for him, and I pray he becomes wiser. At least, that’s what I do eventually…on most days.

4 comments:

cary said...

Pity that they don't have the time to enjoy the world they are speeding through.

Pity that they have to wait so long at red lights.

Pity that they are using more fuel than you are.

I find that as I am driving along at the posted speed limit I have more time to actually enjoy the drive, and the time spent with whoever is riding with me.

Peter said...

Not sure if you realize it or not, but speed limit law is set at "reasonable and prudent" and the signs are not entirely the final word. So speeding in subjective. It seems odd to me that since you are a big proponent of Christian Liberty that you are equating speeding to immorality. Anyhow, I enjoy your show.

cary said...

Don't know where you live, but in Arizona, the speed limit is the speed LIMIT - the fastest you are allowed to travel, legally.

I used to think going with the flow was OK as long as everyone was breaking the law, until I finally saw that breaking a law is breaking the law, no matter how many did it.

"Reasonable and prudent" (as explained to me by a judge who was NOT impressed with how safely I was driving at fifteen miles over the speed limit) includes the limit posted by the signs.

Andrew Tallman said...

When I first heard someone mention this "reasonable and prudent" thing to me a few months ago, I looked for information by reading the relevant Arizona Revised Statutes and also on various websites, and I still couldn't figure it out definitively. So I got the spokesman for Arizona DPS on the program to ask him questions, and he explained it this way. If posted, 55 is the limit. Period. You can be ticketed for driving below the limit under some circumstances if that is too fast. Reasonable and prudent never justifies you going faster than the limit. I was very specific in asking him this question a variety of ways and the answer was always the same. We all know it's unlikely that you'd be given a ticket under ordinary circumstances for going 56, but 56 is breaking the law.