What really divides us?

I love sports, and as most of you know, I’m an avid St. Louis Cardinals fan. The fact that I love baseball in particular gives me an instant connection to any other fan and gives us plenty of fun things to talk about. What’s fascinating, in fact, is that even if someone is a fan of a rival team (Cubs, for instance), our different loyalties don’t really divide us. Instead, our common passion unites us. We joke about hating each other, but it’s almost always just that: a joke.

Something similar is true of discussing movies with other people. If I discover someone else really enjoys movies and has seen a lot of them, I can instantly have hours of conversation about this most modern art medium. Even if we disagree passionately about particular movies, our common interest in the subject keeps bonds us more than it divides us. And unless I’m very mistaken, this same phenomenon is true of discussing books and food and cars and music and many other things.

So why isn’t it this way in politics? Why do rival political views so easily divide rather than unite those who cherish them? It’s because we’re a democracy. And in a democracy like ours, having political power means that persuading our fellow man becomes vital, almost a matter of warfare. And since democracy is a kind of proxy for warfare (we vote at each other rather than shooting at each other), this isn’t all that surprising.

But what if we didn’t have that political power? I wonder whether political discussions wouldn’t be more like sports talk if we had, say, a monarchy? Perhaps even religious disagreement, thus depoliticized, would become more amicable. And in spite of the obvious risks of finding a trustworthy monarch, wouldn’t diminished social fragmentation also be one of the unobvious rewards?


In the end, is it really disagreement that makes us enemies…or is it the power at stake in the disagreement? And although monarchy probably isn’t the answer, could limited government be?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Andrew. Been listening/reading you for, what's it been, 4 or 5 years, now. I've learned so much!

I agree with the dilema you've described here. All except the statement "we're a democracy." Though the 17th Amendment of the Constitution directs that belief, it is repugnant to the original Constitution, guaranteeing the States a Republic form of govenment. I believe the Republic form of govenment to be best. With a guarantee of individual rights, one doesn't have to fear their rights being violated by the majority. The minority has equal representation under the law. Our founding fathers got it right. A democracy leads to an oligarcy, then monarchy (historically), which are repugnant to our organic Constitution. We are a Republic. Disagreements could be settled quietly and friendships maintained when rights are not threatened or when one fears being trampled upon. Definitely a limited government. Your thoughts are appreciated.

Andrew Tallman said...

Glad to hear from you, anonymous. =)

No argument on any point other than the real question: Why would I use the term democracy when I know we live in a republic?

Because that accomplishes communication for most people, most of whom don't know the difference and therefore don't really know the word republic.

In writing my TODs, I'm always making choices about what terms to use and what effect they will have. In this case, I'm choosing the word that represents the concept which most easily conveys the basic idea of people having political power through voting. Using the term republic in this case would be archaic and, more importantly, would cause readers to stumble over the term and focus on it rather than reading on and grasping the more important idea being communicated.

The trade-off is that I know (I even anticipated this in writing it, funny enough) that people who are highly invested in the distinction between republic and democracy would (and always will) chafe at me using the term democracy.

One of the vital corollaries to gaining knowledge is learning when to ignore the way others gaffe over things you know (and when to challenge it, too). So, knowing when to care that someone is using the term democracy rather than republic is at least as important as knowing that there is a substantial difference between them. It's one of those "knowing which battles to bother fighting and when it's appropriate to fight them" deals.

I'll give you a similar, though not identical, other example. Some people chafe at the use of "gay" for "homosexual," particularly because they wish we could roll back the vocabulary 30 years to when gay meant "happy." But we can't roll back the language clock, so I use the term that people use because they use it and also because I know that using the term homosexual has a harsh impact on the American ears who I am most eager to hear what I have to say.

Thanks again for the long listening and the interaction! =)

Anonymous said...

Clearly, I do not understand fully the burdens of communicating with 'the masses' as you do. I disagree though that the term 'democracy' and 'republic' are synonyms. Clarity in communication is key, if ever we hope to understand one another. If there are those who would be offended by clarity, let the gaffes begin. Rather than speaking to 'tickle' the ears, we should speak the truth, no? And my take on your TOD was that we have the ability to communicate amicably, but neither can feel threatened, unsafe, or under attack. Possible? I don't know in our culture today. Seems we try so hard to 'not offend' that the truth cannot be spoken.

P.S. Republic is no more archaic than dictatorship, monarchy, communism. What is out of place is our understanding of the terms, in my opinion. Thanks for the opportunity to discuss, Andrew :)

Andrew Tallman said...

It's not about offending. That's a red herring. It's about keeping the main point the point and making judgments about what else really matters.

For instance, a TOD about the difference between democracy and republicanism might well be something I write, but the reason you want me to use republic in this case is because you're so concerned about THAT point that you don't mind if the OTHER point (the one the TOD is really about...how the scuffle for power turns disagreements into wars) gets lost in the confusion of using an uncommon word rather than the technically less accurate but more widely understood one.

The reason you're inclined to call this "tickling ears" is because you think that clarifying democracy and republic is the only big point worth making, and though I agree that it's "A" point worth making, there's another one I'm making here. "Tickling ears" means refusing to confront people or challenge them, and I seriously doubt you'd say that's a fair characterization of my thoughts of the day. =)