The joys of feedback.

After several years of receiving feedback emails on my occasional op-eds, I have to say they generally fall into two categories: those that sadden me and those that encourage me.

Those that sadden me usually do so because the person has failed to comprehend what I was saying. Since I try really hard to be clear, this usually means he hasn’t tried equally hard to listen or else can’t because of some ideological deafness. Either way, it’s sad.

But most responses are encouraging. Some people agree and want to praise me. This is the lowest level of encouragement, but it’s nice. Other people agree in part and disagree in part and want to discuss it. This is even better because it means we’re making progress, and I’m to blame. But what I truly relish are the people who so completely distort my meaning that I initially think they haven’t even read the article.

The normal response to such distortions is anger. But I’ve learned instead to take the highest form of pleasure from them. Anyone who needs to misrepresent your central thesis to criticize it pays you the highest compliment of admitting he cannot successfully refute your actual one.

No comments: