Too much struggle for something so small

“The Last Airbender” is one of the newest movies at the theaters. As a fan of M. Night Shyamalan’s early work, I wanted to see this from its first ad. However, the reviews have been overwhelmingly negative. Rotten Tomatoes ranks it just 8% favorable out of 100 and an average of under 3 on a ten scale (the equivalent of 1½ stars).

Having been disappointed by recent Shyamalan offerings, this doesn’t surprise me, although it does frustrate me. You see, despite knowing it’s terrible, some perverse impulse in me still want to see it, hoping against reason that it might prove out. But I know it won’t. So, somehow or other, with great perseverance, I intend to force myself to avoid it all the rest of my life.


But here’s the thing, despite my commitment, every time I see the ad on TV, that irrational part of me wakes up again and wants to check it out, even though reason assures me I’d be disappointed. And if I have to struggle so mightily just to avoid yielding to such an insignificant impulse, I am forced to conclude that it is only God’s Grace which preserves me from all the far more enticing and consequential temptations which besiege me.

1 comment:

Naum said...

While certainly not the greatest movie ever, it wasn't that bad — I was entertained for the duration.

I thought the visuals were stunning, though admittedly, over the top.

Believe it's a case of everyone jumping on the bandwagon after the initial critic bashing…

…honestly, what are expectations of a movie grafted from a cartoon in which the fire nation is at war with the water nation?