Thought of the Day 04.22.10

So, I’m at the ballgame the other day with my family, which always draws other people to us. Women in particular are always taken with my three red-headed sons, especially when wearing their Cardinals gear. Well, in this case, the women sitting in front of us were having fun with Spencer (our most outgoing one) and trying unsuccessfully with Ethan (whose name even means firm or stubborn).

As always happens, they asked how old they were, and I mentioned that Spencer just turned 6 and Ethan was about to turn 4, which immediately prompted them to say, “Oh, that’s why. He’s a Taurus, and this one’s an Aries.”

This completely stunned me. I mean, I have so long been separated from people who would take such things seriously, let alone advocate them out loud to a stranger, that I really didn’t even know how to respond.

The women were quite sweet, and there didn’t seem to be any value in squabbling about it. But mostly I realized that hanging around with Christians so long had cost me my ability to interact with pagans. Perhaps not needless to say, this is my defect rather than theirs.

No comments: