Thought of the Day 03.01.10

As a result of never quite fully growing up, I’ve kept a lot of my childhood toys and games. Partially this is because I just like them, but it’s also because I wanted my own kids to have them to play with. As a kid-parent, then, I get great pleasure from each new opportunity to share a game or toy with my boys as they become old enough for them.

Now, naturally I realize that some of these things are going to get broken in this process. And, of course, I also know that replacing them may be impossible or at least fairly difficult. Thus, I realize that this sharing process will cost me some of my treasure, and so I don’t really mind when a Lego or a bendy-snake gets broken from normal wear and tear.

What I do mind is when things get broken because my boys were destructive in playing with something contrary to the way it’s supposed to be used, a kind of wanton destruction that shows they didn’t really appreciate their father’s things in the first place. And I tremble to consider that this is how our heavenly Father reacts when He sees how we’ve treated the precious things He’s shared with us.

No comments: