Thought of the Day 02.23.10

Consider the absurdity of someone putting any of the following bumper stickers on a car.

“My child is prettier than yours.”
“My child is more intelligent than yours.”
“My child has more athletic skill than yours.”
“My child has more friends than yours.”
“My child is more virtuous than yours.”
“My child has more faith than yours.”

Of course, thinking such things without having the honesty and courage to actually put them on a bumper sticker isn’t much of an accomplishment to brag about. But let’s be honest in noticing what they’re all really saying:

“I derive my identity from my children. Therefore, I’m worth more than you are because my children are better than yours.”

And it may sometimes be even worse than this:

“God loves me more than He loves you since I’m a better parent.”

Instead, what if someone simply put the following message on his car:


“God loves all of His children…even if they’re not honor students.”

2 comments: