Thought of the Day 02.05.10

When I first became a Christian, I must confess that I wasn’t really all that amazed by the idea that God loved me. After all, why wouldn't He love a terrific person like me?

Then, as I progressively discovered the reality of the situation, I became amazed by the idea that a Holy God would love me despite how truly unterrific I really was.

But after several years of growing in my understanding of Who God is and His infinitely merciful goodness, it actually stopped amazing me quite so much anymore. Naturally Someone with His perfect loving character would love a mess like me. Of course, the reality of such a Character still did amaze me.


Finally (for now), after all these shifts, the thing that now amazes me is the realization that God actually finds me terrific, a sort of happy return to my starting point. Only this time around, I know I’m terrific not because of anything about me, but because of what He sacrificed in order to get me.

No comments: