Thought of the Day 02.09.10

A conversation overheard at the gates of Heaven:

Gatekeeper: Why should you be admitted to heaven?
Applicant: Because I’ve lived a good life.
Gatekeeper: Could you please be more specific. What do you have to offer us?
Applicant (confidently): I did what my teachers told me. I always got good grades. I worked hard my entire life. And I never cheated on my taxes.
Gatekeeper: What else do you have?
Applicant (still confidently): I never betrayed my wife. I never hurt anyone intentionally. And I always took care of my family.
Gatekeeper: None of that impresses us. What else do you have?
Applicant (less certain): I had many friends and a good sense of humor. I exercised to keep my body healthy, and I looked good for a man my age.
Gatekeeper: Is there anything else?
Applicant (timidly): I loved my children. I went to church a lot. I read my Bible, and I prayed regularly.
Gatekeeper: Anything else?
Applicant (desperately): I served the poor. I visited prisoners. I led people to Christ. And I even performed a couple of miracles.
Gatekeeper: As I said before, none of that impresses us. What else do you have?
Applicant (crying): But that’s everything I have! I don’t have anything else. I have nothing else to offer. What more could you possibly want?
Gatekeeper: What do you want?
Applicant (begging): I want to come be with God.
Gatekeeper: Why do you think you deserve that?
Applicant (pauses): Well, I guess I don’t, really. May I still please come in? Gatekeeper (smiles): Ahh, now we’re getting somewhere.

No comments: