Thought of the Day 02.18.10

I have a lot of flaws.

No, no. It’s true. There are a lot of things wrong with me.

And they are frustrating in at least two ways. First, they seem to improve so slowly or not at all. The project of my character is always behind schedule and over budget. Second, just when it seems like I am making good progress, I have entirely new areas of failure revealed to me, making the progress seem insignificant next to the newly discovered scope of the task.

But recently I’ve begun to see my moral development in a whole new way. In realizing that I’m already completely pleasing to God, I’m also finding that I don’t have to be better in order to feel better about who I am. Nor do I feel worse when I seem to be doing worse.

Instead of taking my moral progress so personally, I’m just intrigued and excited to see what part of me God will work on next and what He’ll do to fix it, sort of like a satisfied spectator who knows the ending of the movie will be good and just wonders how the writer will get us all there.

No comments: